Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Nonimmigrant Visa Information

Nonimmigrant Visa Information


Zambians and other non-U.S. citizens ineligible for the Visa Waiver Program require a visa to enter the United States. A nonimmigrant visa is required for a temporary visit, including for business, pleasure or study. An immigrant visa is required to reside permanently in the United States.

To apply for a non-immigrant visa, please do the following:

  1. Complete the online application forms (DS-160)
  2. Schedule a visa appointment
  3. Arrive at the U.S. Embassy: pay the application fee, fingerprint scan, provide one 5 cm by 5 cm size photo (see photo requirements), interview and present supporting documents 

Please note: Your online application form must exactly match the information in your passport (name, date of birth, place of birth, etc). We cannot process your visa application if the information is inconsistent. Also you must bring the correctly sized photo or your application will not be processed to completion.

All visa applicants should be prepared to discuss their purpose of travel and their ties to their home country.  Usually, approved visas can be collected the following day.

Every effort is made to ensure that appointments are available and cases are processed quickly.  All visa applicants are encouraged to allow sufficient time to complete the process well in advance of their planned travel.

Visa applications may be submitted at any embassy or consulate worldwide but it is important to understand that it may be more difficult to establish visa eligibility when applying outside your country of permanent residence.      

For detailed information on types of nonimmigrant visas, what to do if you have lost your valid visahow to reprint your appointment confirmation letter, and other instructions, please consult our official visa information website.

Notice for Employment or Education-Based Nonimmigrants: For visa applicants in A-3, G-5, B-1 domestic employee, H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, H-2B, and J-1 categories, please take the time to read this pamphlet as you will be required to have read and understood the pamphlet before being issued a U.S. visa in your category.  In doing so, you will learn about and understand your rights, protections, as well as resources available to you, if help is needed when you come to the United States.

If you have further questions, please write to us at

    Visitor Information

    Contact Information

    • Thread

      To speak with a consular staff member, please call +260 (0) 211-357-000 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday.

      For general queries, email